The shortlisted finalists in the 2013 Graphical System Design Achievement Awards have been announced by National Instruments UK & Ireland. These annual Awards celebrate and honour engineers, scientists and researchers who are using NI technology to address some of the most challenging engineering problems and improve the world around us.
The following outstanding applications have been recognised by the judging panel:
- Controlling 70 Ton Gripper Arms for Offshore Wind Turbine Construction by Industrial Systems and Control
- Developing a Hybrid Simulation of Automated Air-to-Air Refuelling Procedures by the University of Bristol and the University of Bath
- Controlling a Robotic Manipulator for Nuclear Decommissioning by James Fisher Nuclear and Key Engineering Solutions
- Monitoring and Controlling a Compact Spherical Tokamak for Plasma Research by Tokamak Solutions
- Measuring Biomechanical Stresses in Machine and Live Scrummaging by the University of Bath
- Testing and Validating Powered Attendant-Propelled Wheelchairs by University College London
RF & Communications
- Building a Next-Generation Test System for Next-Generation Wireless Communication by Imperial College London
- Wireless Testbed Solution for Testing of Novel Future Generation Communications Systems by Surrey University
Test & Measurement
- Developing a Quantum Waveform Synthesiser by National Physical Laboratory
- High Throughput Testing of a Revolutionary Electronically Steerable Antennae by Phasor Solutions
- Aston Martin Race Engine Vibration Analysis by Computer Controlled Solutions
- Measuring the Hydroelasticity of Inflatable Boats to Reduce Injuries in Harsh Waters by the University of Southampton
Winners will be announced at the Graphical System Design Achievement Awards ceremony, held at The Royal Academy of Engineering, London, on Tuesday 19th November, in the presence of Jeff Kodosky, National Instruments Co-founder and ‘Father of LabVIEW’.
A number of finalists will present their innovative applications in technical sessions at NIDays conference and exhibition, held at The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, Westminster, London, on 20th November, the day after the Awards ceremony. More details about NIDays sessions, including the agenda and how to register for this event can be found at ni.com/nidays.
To learn more about the 2013 NI UK & Ireland Graphical System Design Achievement Awards or submit an entry to next year’s contest, visit uk.ni.com/gsdawards.