Advantech's new ADAM-5560CDS is a cost-efficient modular IPC controller based on a Codesys V3 embedded engineering platform equipped with an Intel Atom D510 CPU including controller-specific features such as a watchdog, RAM with battery back-up, and the WIN CE6.0 real-time embedded operating system. The basic unit provides space for seven internal I/O slots (for digital and analogue I/O) that can support applications with up to 224 I/O points. Two onboard Ethernet ports (RJ45) provide for connection to multiple network architectures and remote I/O components.
I/O expansion modules
For additional external and long-distance I/O expansion, Advantech offers a selection of various remote I/O extension units. The ADAM-5000TCP and ADAM-5000/485 can be connected through the Modbus TCP Ethernet remote I/O LAN port or internal RS485 Modbus/RTU port. Both remote I/O extension units provide additional space for a further four or eight I/O modules. The full range of intelligent digital, analogue and counter modules includes the ADAM 6000 (Modbus TCP Ethernet based) series, ADAM 4000 (Modbus RTU, RS485 based) series and ADAM 2000 (wireless sensor Network I/O).
Codesys development system
At the core of the PC-based controller is the Codesys Control Runtime System (V3) and the Codesys Visualization editor. The Codesys development system from 3S-Smart Software Solutions is described as the automation market standard for the development of IEC 61131-3 compliant applications. The free-of-charge development system includes all the components for engineering, all six IEC 61131-3 languages, a compiler for the native machine code, a powerful debugger and a clear project configurator. Besides the pure soft logic programming capability of the Codesys engineering tool, an integrated graphics editor enables system integrators to develop the target visualisation, which can be displayed through an additional industrial panel monitor connected to the internal VGA port on the ADAM-5560.
The web-based visualisation option within the Codesys Visualization editor enables remote access, monitoring and HMI services to be delivered via the internet. A standard web browser communicates with the web server in the controller and displays the visualisation using HTML5. For the optional WebVizu integrated web-based HMI functionality, Advantech provides a selection of 7-inch to 12-inch WOP-3000 series rugged and fanless browser-based touch panel PCs (pictured right).
Bundle promotion - save 60 per cent!
Advantech is celebrating its co-operation with Codesys with an Advantech-Codesys bundle promotion in Europe. This starts in July 2015 and is open for purchases until 31 December 2015. The promotion is part of Advantech Industrial Automation Group's ongoing efforts to offer customers in the European market great-value deals.
The Advantech-Codesys bundle promotion is focused on the Advantech ADAM-5560CDS with the integrated Codesys runtime providing a versatile and scalable PC-based controller platform for many cost-effective Internet of Things (IOT) applications, in automation and data acquisition, and control applications in energy and facilities management, air and water management, waste water, and greenhouse automation. The promotion offers Advantech customers the following benefits:
- The bundle is available at EUR1750, which is a saving of 60 per cent compared with the initial price of the individual elements!
- Greater productivity with an optimised development interface
- Flexible modularity and improved re-usability through object orientation
- Simple engineering supports user-friendly controller configuration and communication
- Full integration of all Advantech Modbus TCP/RTU remote devices
- Free Codesys development system supporting six PLC languages complying with the IEC 61131-3 standard
- Practice-oriented for fast creation of simple applications
- Powerful for large-scale projects and scalable using add-on tools
- Harmonised tools with consistent designs for functionality and operation
- Customisable functionality and user interface for the development environment
The Advantech-Codesys bundle promotion includes the following Advantech products:
- One ADAM-5560CDS (seven-slot PC-based Intel Atom CPU soft logic controller with integrated target visualisation)
- Two ADAM-5051D-BE (I/O modules)
- Two ADAM-5056D-AE (I/O modules)
- Two ADAM-5055S-AE (I/O modules)
- One ADAM-5071H-BE (I/O module)
- One WebOP-3070T (browser-based HMI for WebVisu)
- One FPM-2150G (15-inch touch panel monitor for TargetVisu)
Follow the link to find out more about the Advantech-Codesys bundle.